Eat with people you love.
- Eat a serving of protein at every meal and snack. (Protein has an important role in maintaining the stabilisation of your blood sugar)
- Always eat breakfast. Try to eat before 8am.
- Eat fresh fish 2-3 times a week. Take fish oil supplements.
- Eat saturated fats in the form of butter (ghee) coconut oil and ORGANIC animals sources. (10% of your total fat intake should be in the form of saturated fat. Equals approx 2 finger size a day.
- The majority of fats should be omega 3’s. Such as: oily fish (salmon, sardines, anchovies, mackeral). Nuts and seeds (Raw almonds, sunflower and pumpkin seeds). 2 serves a day. See handout on DHA.
- The lesser amount of fats should be plant oils such as avocado, and or olive oil. Only buy cold pressed oils. Do not use for cooking. 2 tblsp a day. Eat also, avocados and olives.
- Eat at least 2-3 Brazil nuts a day. This will give you approx the daily requirement of selenium. (NZ doesn’t have this mineral in the soil)
- Eat foods containing iodine (NZ doesn’t have this mineral in the soil) you require at least 200mcg a day. Sources include fish, kelp (nori, kombu, Wakame), iodized mineral salt. (not sea salt). Check that your vitamin and mineral supplement contains iodine.
- Aim for 5-6 servings of vegetables a day, eat them at every meal not just for dinner. Include a wide range of fresh vegetables. Vegetables should take up half of your dinner plate. Root vegetables are an important source of carbohydrate.
- A serving of protein is what you can fit in the palm of your hand.
- If you are low in iron stores. It is important that this be rectified as quickly as possible. Ask your midwife to check your Ferritin levels. Should be at least 60mcg/L. Take 20 tablets of spirolina a day for 2-3 weeks and recheck your ferritin levels. Don’t take a multi vitamin and mineral supplement with iron in it.
- Eat whole grains, legumes and beans. Avoid white foods from white grains including rice. Examples of whole grains: wholemeal flour, brown basmati rice, Oats. Quinoa, Aramanth, Millet.
- Take a high potency probiotic capsule every day. (10 – 20 million bifida and the right strain is very important). This is especially so if you have taken antibiotics or if you have any pre existing condition such as asthma, eczema, hay fever, sinusitis, or constipation.
- Eat 2-4 servings of fresh fruit a day. Eat through out the day not in one sitting. (Fruit is only part of a snack).
- Drink herbal teas. At least 2 cups a day. Loose dried herbs are nourishing, relaxing and better value for your money.
- Support the normal detoxification and function of your liver. Eat onions, garlic, eggs, blackstrap molasses, cheese, cauliflower, broccoli, nuts every day
- Reduce caffeine, try instead, dandelion coffee and green tea.
- Eat fermented foods, 1 serving a day. Ensures healthy digestion. Examples are: Kefir, Kimchi, miso, saurkraut, tempeh.
- If you are having problems with heartburn. 1 tsp of slippery elm in warm water twice a day away from food is soothing and relieving. Also, 1dsp of apple cider vinegar in warm water before meals aids in digestion.
- Eat sitting down and Chew, Chew, Chew. Food is not well absorbed if eaten on the run, not chewed properly or you are feeling stressed. Turn off the TV and play some classical music during mealtimes. It will enhance digestion.
Compiled for you by Lynda Bailey. This is not by any means exhaustive nutritional advice. It is general and is best utilised alongside an individually prescribed nutritional plan.
Apollo Health & Wellness
Specialist Suite, 119 Apollo Dr.
Ph 477 3765
Email Lynda for Consultation
Naturopath, Midwife & Reg Nurse.